• Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation 815-726-9200
Mevorah Law Offices LLC

6 Convenient Locations

  Twitter Facebook  

Free Initial Consultation

Se habla español
Se habla español

What Happens If I Am Hit by an Uninsured Driver?

Posted on in Personal Injury

Joliet car accident lawyers, personal injury claim, uninsured driver, car accident damages, car accident claimIt is illegal for drivers to drive without insurance. In Illinois, drivers must carry minimum coverage of at least $25,000 for bodily injury or death of any one person and at least $40,000 for the bodily injury or death of two or more people.

Unfortunately, some people disregard this law and drive uninsured. If you sustain an injury in a car accident that was caused by an uninsured driver, you may be wondering what you should do and who will pay for your damages. 

Review Your Insurance Policy

Although uninsured motorist insurance is not required in the state, you may have added it to your policy. If you did, your property damage and damages such as medical bills and lost wages will be paid for by your insurer. Notify your policy right away if you have this type of coverage.

File a Personal Injury Claim

Regardless of whether or not you have uninsured motorist coverage, you should file a personal injury claim. Speak to an experienced car accident lawyer who can investigate the details of your case and determine whether there is solid evidence to prove the other driver’s liability. If a lawyer can prove that the other driver’s negligence or recklessness led to your injuries, you may be able to collect compensation to pay for the following damages:

  • Vehicle damage;
  • Medical bills;
  • Lost wages;
  • Pain and suffering; and
  • Disability.

What to Do if the Driver Has No Assets

If you were hit by an uninsured driver who has no assets, you may believe there is no point in suing him or her. In order to determine whether this is true, you should have a conversation with your attorney.

Even if the driver does not have a great deal of money, he or she may be able to pay you through a payment schedule. If he or she refuses to pay through this method, the court may approve wage garnishment.

Keep in mind that you have the right to enforce judgment for seven years in Illinois. In the event you are not completely paid within seven years, you may submit paperwork with court and extend judgement for another seven years.

Contact Our Experienced Joliet Car Accident Lawyers

If you were hit by an uninsured driver, it is in your best interest to reach out to our highly skilled Joliet car accident lawyers today. To ensure your rights are protected and hold the at fault driver responsible for your damages, call our Joliet car accident lawyers today at 815-726-9200.



Recent Blog Posts



  • AVVO Rating 10 Top Attorney Personal Injury
  • Elite Lawyers
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.