Technologies That Reduce the Risk of Distracted Driving Accidents
Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents in the country. Even though it can be avoided, some drivers disregard safety precautions and direct their attention away from the road. Fortunately, there are several technologies that have been designed that make the roadways safer and reduce distracted driving accidents.
Types of Distractions
When drivers are focusing on something other than driving and the road ahead of them, they may fail to stop on time or hit or sideswipe a vehicle. Some of the distractions that can easily be avoided but often lead to serious accidents, injuries, and fatalities include:
- Talking on the phone or texting;
- Eating or drinking;
- Applying makeup;
- Fumbling with radio or GPS controls; and
- Speaking to passengers.
Types of Technologies That Can Keep You Safe From Distracted Drivers
While there are technologies that can protect you from distracted drivers, you should always drive with caution and pay attention to the road. By driving defensively and taking advantage of these technologies, you can ensure you are as safe as possible.
- Bluetooth technology: Bluetooth technology allows you to call your friends and family without having to hold your phone and take your hands off the steering wheel. Although you should avoid using your phone while on the road, if you must do so, make sure your phone is connected to your vehicle via Bluetooth.
- Smartphone apps: There are many apps available that disable phone features while vehicles are in motion. These apps do not block 911 so you will be able to dial for emergency help if necessary.
- Automatic emergency braking system: An automatic emergency braking system can engage your brakes if it detects you are about to crash into something and you have not applied your brakes in time.
- Collision warning system: A collision warning system can notify you through visual and audible warnings if it detects you are at high risk for an accident.
- Lane keeping assistance: With lane keeping assistance, you can receive some assistance if you are drifting out of your lane.
- Eye tracking technology: Some auto manufacturers are currently experimenting with eye tracking technology which can monitor your eyes and prompt you to pay attention if it is apparent you are distracted.
Contact Our Joliet Car Accident Lawyers
If you are involved in an accident that was caused by a distracted driver, you should contact our Joliet car accident lawyers at 815-726-9200 today. We will make sure the negligent driver is held liable and help you secure compensation for your damages.