• Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation 815-726-9200
Mevorah Law Offices LLC

6 Convenient Locations

  Twitter Facebook  

Free Initial Consultation

Se habla español
Se habla español

3 Common Insurance Forms After a Car Accident

Posted on in Personal Injury

Joliet car accident lawyers, car accident insurance forms, medical authorization release form, release of liability, property damage release formIf you have been hurt in a car accident that was caused by the negligence of another driver, there are several forms you may receive from the responsible party’s insurance company. Even though the insurer will encourage you to sign these forms, you should refrain from doing so until you consult an experienced car accident attorney. Below are three of the most common insurance forms you will likely encounter following a car accident.

1. Medical Authorization Release

A medical authorization release form is compliant with HIPAA regulations and can give the insurance company access to your medical records. By signing this form, you allow the insurer to search for evidence of previous complaints that may explain the injuries that you believe were caused by the car accident.

For instance, if you have seen the doctor in the past because your neck hurt, the insurance company can use this information to try to reduce the amount of money they pay you for your damages. Instead of signing this form, speak to a lawyer who can help you collect the appropriate medical bills and records to prove your injuries occurred as a result of the car accident.

2. Release of Liability

In order to receive compensation for your damages, you will be required to sign a release of liability. If you sign this form, your claim will be closed and you will not have the right to negotiate for a greater amount of compensation.

To ensure you receive the fair and full compensation to which you may be entitled, do not sign this form until a lawyer has evaluated your claim and the insurer’s offer.

3. Property Damage Release

The insurance company will likely send you a property damage release form if the accident totaled your vehicle. Once you sign this form and accept the check that comes with it, you cannot go back to the insurance company and ask for additional compensation for your vehicle damage.

Remember, insurance companies are in business to make money. Therefore, they will send you these forms and hope you will sign them right away rather than try to obtain more money from them. To avoid being taken advantage of by an insurer, consult an attorney before signing any forms.

Contact Our Joliet Car Accident Lawyers Today

If you are hurt in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligent acts, reach out to our Joliet car accident lawyers at 815-726-9200 before signing any of these forms. We will ensure your rights are protected.



Recent Blog Posts



  • AVVO Rating 10 Top Attorney Personal Injury
  • Elite Lawyers
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.