Aggressive Will County DUI Attorneys
Drunk Driving Defense Lawyers Serving Bolingbrook, Plainfield and Frankfort
Almost every adult is aware that driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs is against the law. However, according to the advocacy group Mothers Against Drunk Driving, approximately 1.2 million Americans were arrested on suspicion of DUI in 2011 alone. Some mistakenly believe that facing DUI charges is only a minor problem. In reality, DUI charges in Joliet, Illinois can carry harsh penalties that may significantly impact many aspects of your life. For this reason, it is important to have an aggressive DUI attorney representing you in every stage of your case.
DUI Charges in Will County, Illinois
In order to be convicted of DUI in Illinois, the prosecutor must usually show that you had a certain blood alcohol content (BAC) while you were operating a motor vehicle. The following are the BAC thresholds in Illinois:
- Drivers under 21 = anything over 0.00 percent (zero tolerance)
- Drivers age 21 and older = 0.08 percent or above
- Commercial drivers = 0.04 percent or above
Whether a DUI will be charged as a misdemeanor or felony and the potential penalties often depend on different factors, including: your BAC level, whether you broke any other traffic laws, whether you caused an accident or injury, or whether you have any previous DUI offenses on your record.
DUI penalties can affect your freedom, finances, reputation, and career. Some of the possible penalties you may face for a DUI conviction include:
- Paying fines, penalties and court costs
- Mandatory time in jail
- Suspension or revocation of your driver’s license
- Undergoing a professional assessment for alcohol abuse and mandated treatment if needed
- Attending mandatory alcohol safety classes
- Performing community service
- Probation and associated costs
- Having an ignition interlock device installed on your vehicle
- Higher auto insurance premiums
- Loss of or disqualification from certain jobs that require a driver’s license or clean driving record
There are many possible defenses to DUI charges. At the Mevorah Law Offices LLC, we work to get DUI charges dismissed through a thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding your arrest and by showing the evidence against you is not credible. We work to hold law enforcement agencies and forensic labs accountable for any potential defects in breathalyzer equipment, inaccuracies in police reports, or mistakes during the processing of BAC tests. Even if your charges are not dropped, we know how to negotiate with prosecutors in order to minimize the penalties you may face.